Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Wwoofing: What, how to start.

 A start to an adventure; where do I begin?
What is Wwoofing? Well http://www.wwoof.org/ says:

"WWOOF is a world wide network of organisations. We link volunteers with organic farmers, and help people share more sustainable ways of living."Although, I've seen it as Willing Workers On Organic Farms as well. What ever it is called it is a exchange of labor for food and lodging.

 Now the food will be (mostly)organic. Sometimes the host will cook, sometimes you'll cook. The lodging can be a house with running water, or it can be nothing but a campsite to pitch a tent. The labor can be a variety of things. It can range from easy to back breaking labor.

 What you do is go to http://www.wwoof.org/ and pick the country you want to go to that has wwoof. For a small fee, it was 30$ for the USA, you will be privileged to a directory of farms. You'll also get a profile. From what I've read you want to make your profile like a honest dating profile. Talk about yourself, the whys behind you wwoofing, what you did before wwoofing, what you look to gain, what you enjoy. The host is going to use this after you email them to get a feel for you.

 Then you figure out where you want to go in your selected region and find farms in that area. Pick out the farms you like and send them some emails.

 Currently I have yet to send out any emails to farm so I don't know much further in this process. I plan on sending out emails and making calls in late December as I want to be on the road in early march. I've seen it suggested that you get in touch with the house 2-3 months before you want to arrive. I'll let you know how it goes once I get there!

No comments:

Post a Comment